- Use Paperpile for references.
- Follow Practical Typography where possible.
- Margins larger than 1 inch. Narrower text columns are easier to read.
- Never use Arial, use Helvetica Neue instead if Arial is required.
- If Arial not required, use Source Serif Pro and Source Sans Pro.
- Use Serif for the body text, Sans for headers and figure legends.
- Use the Text Styles menu to style each paragraph by typeface, margins, type weight, and paragraph spacing.
- Main text paragraphs should have no space before, and a space afterwards.
- Paragraph headers should have no spaces before or after.
- Text Styles allows you to auto-generate a Table of Contents.
- Use 200-300 dpi PNG files for figures.
- When discussing a project, use Basecamp. When discussing the details of a manuscript, use the Docs Comment function. I admit there is a lot of overlap between the two.
- Try to avoid using email to discuss either.
When using Google Docs, there are a few tricks.